Why Screen Women for Substance Use, Intimate Partner Violence, Mental Health and Perinatal Depression?
This module introduces family support professionals to screening clients for substance use, intimate partner violence and mental health issues. It provides a statistical overview of the prevalence of these concerns and gives information about the impact they have on health and well-being in the home. The module also demonstrates best practices for screening, including frequency, different tools available and techniques for creating a comfortable and successful screening environment.
- List reasons why family support professionals should screen all mothers
- Describe the difference between screening and assessment
- Develop and improve screening, intervention and referral skills
- Explain the importance of screening for multiple risks
- Explain why a mother may not acknowledge issues
- Describe best practices for screening
- Understand how to create and maintain a respectful environment
- Early Impact Virginia
- Supplemental Materials
- Estimated Time to Complete
- 45 minutes
- Skills Addressed
- Infant and Early Childhood Development Early learning Routines and interactions Mental illness Family Health, Safety, and Nutrition Maternal health Postpartum depression Mental health Depression Physical health Substance use Effective Home Visits Assessment Screening