Culturally and Developmentally Appropriate Supervision
Supervisors will learn the necessary skills to guide their team members in response to each individual's unique culture and abilities. The values and principles surrounding cultural competence and what the journey of developing cultural competence looks like for both individuals and organizations will also be explored.
- Describe the concept of cultural competency and the hallmarks of an organization that strives toward cultural competence
- Illustrate the benefits of cultural competency self-assessment and conduct a cultural competency self-assessment for their program
- Identify key questions to ask about multicultural considerations
- Structure supervision sessions around a framework that focuses on personal awareness, development, skills, processes and outcomes as related to cultural competence
- Discern the developmental level of staff and "scaffold" the supervision session around their developmental needs
- Develop a framework by which to counsel staff who have taken inappropriate actions