Promoting Healthy Homes for Home Visitors
This module teaches how surroundings and environment affect overall child development with an understanding that a positive environment promotes healthy development. It educates about health concerns in the home, including physical risks, indoor and outdoor concerns, and stress from emotional or substance abuse problems. It guides family support professionals in how to assist families in completing a home health and safety plan and in identifying community resources through appropriate referrals to any outside agencies.
- Describe how surroundings and environment affect healthy child development.
- Identify major physical, mental and emotional health concerns in the environment
- Assist families in completing a home health and safety checklist and plan
- List community resources that are available to help families
- Early Impact Virginia
- Supplemental Materials
- Estimated Time to Complete
- 45 minutes
- Skills Addressed
- Child Health, Safety, and Nutrition Infant and Early Childhood Development Early learning Learning through play Safe environments for young children Poison prevention Child proofing Family Health, Safety, and Nutrition Environmental safety Fire safety Infant mental health Toxic stress Parent-Child Interactions Parent-child relationship Attachment Physical health Substance use Intimate partner violence Recognizing intimate partner violence